Wednesday 21 May 2008

Cathedral of the Moors,

The church at Altarnun (seen here on a sunny day) is mainly 15 century with a few pieces of the 12 Century still to be found. The font is 12 century and still shows traces of paint on it. My favourite parts of the church are the carved pew ends especially the one with the sheep. These were all carved by Robart Daye between 1510 and 1530.


My favourite carving, aren't they great?
The Norman font details

more carvings
The view from the church

On Saturday as it was still raining when I left the church ( Ian had already gone back to the campsite) and we had already visited the village coffee morning and won two bottles on the tombola, I thought it was time to visit the coffee morning at the church hall. They had a lovely open fire burning and I was encouraged to buy some raffle tickets....and won a bottle of wine and a pair of secateurs!!
I had been talking bikes with the church warden and he offered my a lift back to the site. As the club has been meeting annually in the same village for twenty years, the locals are quite used to having us turn up each May. I regret to say that I didn't catch his name but he turned out to have a lovely military Norton which he rode down to the site later that day once the rain had stopped.



I hope he doesn't mind having his photo here.

No comments: