Monday 30 May 2011

Laneast Church

At some point during Friday nights pub session in Cornwall I spotted an advert for a craft fair and flower festival in a nearby village.  Laneast is a very small village not far from our Rally site in Cornwall and the fair was being held at the St Sidwell and St Gulval Parish Church.

amarda 2011 040
A friend from one of the local bike clubs saw me knitting during the evening and offered to pick me up on Saturday morning so we could visit the yarn shops in Launceston so we spent the morning shopping followed by a quick visit to The Natural Fibre Company to see what they were up to. After much petting of wool Helen dropped me off in Laneast.

The craft fair was also to celebrate the completion of the Church wall hanging, this having been finished in May of this year and the panels represent parts of the church, local buildings and buildings and bridge. The local children added the bats to represent the colony resident in the church.

amarda 2011 029amarda 2011 031

The flower displays were amazing, the food fantastic and I felt duty bound to sample the pasty, cake and tea whilst knitting quietly and listening to the wonderful local accents. When it was time to leave it was raining heavily so I felt that I simply had to retreat back inside and enjoy a cream tea whilst spinning on my drop spindle.

amarda 2011 034

amarda 2011 038


The next few minutes were spent in conversation with an author living in the  area who writes books based in medieval times, looking at the drop spindle for inclusion as part of the village life in that time.

amarda 2011 048

I eventually dragged myself away and had a pleasant if somewhat damp walk back to the bikers but had really appreciated the glimpse of local village life.

amarda 2011 043
Obligatory spinners shot of sheep on the walk back

2 comments:

Susan Lenz said...

BEAUTIFUL!
So ... how was the graveyard? Any late 18th century folkart angels or death masks?
Susan

Guzzisue said...

confession...due to the rain I didn't look round the graveyard!!! but will do next time :-)