Tuesday 3 January 2012

weird yarny bits #1

Blog 2012 005
I wrote this post for the Knit Nottingham Blog but thought that you may be interested in it  :-)



What to do with yarn other than just knit with it....


Blog 2012 003Hi, this is the first of an occasional series on things to do with yarn, some serious and some just long lost fads. If you want to challenge me to try any unusual technique please feel free to do so.

I'm starting with Jiffy lace simply because someone passed me a leaflet of instructions which totally confused me. No idea of the publication date but priced at $1.50 so obviously an import. Now this looks very much like broomstick crochet and I suspect Jiffy Lace is simply an American cover story for it. You use a big needle and a crochet hook to make the stitches, I found it very fiddly to do and certainly not relaxing for me but maybe with practise?? or maybe not!   I mean, I can't see me wearing this...can you?


Blog 2012 006Blog 2012 008 So I've made three small samples, two in acrylic, one in handspun and I suspect that may be the end of this experiment unless anyone wants to educate me further? I throw the challenge out to you, the readers.....

Blog 2012 012





Blog 2012 013
Blog 2012 014











So , let me know what you think and I'll stick to the knitting for a little while longer xx

No comments: